Friday 10 April 2015

Home Made Tomato Soup

Hey guys!

We have made our way round to a 'Food Friday' which is quite self explanatory.  Every Friday I will post a food related post for you guys.  My topics are quite loose so this section could really vary in content.  As long as it is food related it will happily fit in my 'Food Friday' section.  Food might seem a bit of a strange choice to pair with 'Makeup Mondays' but as you all know - this is a blog about the things I love most and honestly food is my life.  I think about food all the time and I think it should feature on my little corner of the internet. 

Today I tried to make a home made tomato soup.  I scrounged through our cupboards and we had all the ingredients so I thought why not give it a bash? 


I found the recipe in this cook book my mum bought me for my eighteenth birthday.  I'll include pictures of the actual recipe at the end of this post for any of you that would like to try it yourself.  The little rabbit there is a paper weight which will feature throughout this post - helping me hold open pages and just looking pretty cute.



This recipe actually didn't take many ingredients at all which I was quite pleased with when I gathered them all up.  I think the tomatoes are supposed to be whole and I was supposed to then chop them up but I don't have any and I figured chopped tomatoes would do just as well.  I was also only making half the recipe suggested because I was making a serving for just me (I still have some left over) and this recipe makes enough for four.


Towards the final stages the recipe has you strain the mixture to remove the tomato skins and seeds then it tells you to add the basil and a few other things.  I did as instructed but personally I would have added the basil before because I think the soup looks nice at this stage but with pieces of basil floating around it isn't quite as appealing.  I also found that my liquid was very watery compared to the picture in the book and I think if I were to have it again I would perhaps blend the entire mixture rather than strain it so that it would retain some of that thickness from the pulp.



Click the above pics to enlarge them.

The final bowl of soup actually tasted pretty good - perhaps a little acidic for my tastes and I would maybe add in a splash of cream to cancel that out - but over all it went down well.  I hope you guys liked this post!  If you did leave a comment and possibly follow for more from me next week!

What's your favourite recipe to make?

robyniasbella x


No comments:

Post a Comment